Reminder!! Schools are back in session next week
Let's start the school year off in the safest manner possible
School is Back in Session on August 30th
With the start of school just days away, the Harford County Sheriff's Office wants to remind all drivers to drive carefully and be on the look out for children boarding and exiting school buses. Please allow room and time for the frequent stops that happen during the morning pick up and the afternoon drop off periods.
In addition, sometimes children forget to be aware of their surroundings. They may think that drivers will stop for them or they don't remember to look both ways before they step into the road.
Pay attention to the Flashing Lights
Maryland law states that vehicles must come to a complete stop on both sides of the street if there is no physical divider or barrier. Drivers who pass the bus before all lights have ceased flashing may face the following consequences:
- Drivers who pass school buses while the lights are flashing will receive a citation that carries a maximum fine of $570 and a 3-point penalty.
- Drivers who stop but then proceed while the lights are flashing will receive a citation that carries a maximum fine of $570 and a 2-point penalty.
The Sheriff's Office offers the following tips for motorists driving during school hours:
- Drive slow and watch for children traveling to and from school when driving in neighborhoods with marked school zones
- Watch for children walking in the street, especially if there are no sidewalks in the neighborhood
- Learn and understand the flashing light system school bus drivers use to alert motorists for stopping.