Suspect Wanted in Shooting Arrested/Victim Found Alive

(Harford County, MD) — William James Mitchell, 23, the subject wanted for the attempted murder of his wife earlier this week, has been arrested. His wife, Tesheka Smythe, 26, was located and although she had suffered two gun shot wounds, is alive.

On Thursday January 13, 2005 at 10:58pm, a call was received at the Maryland State Police Barrack in Northeast, Maryland from a citizen who saw Mitchell walking in the 900 block of Erie St. in Havre de Grace. Police officers were immediately dispatched to the area, saw Mitchell, and were able to take him into custody without incident. Further investigation led police to the 800 block of Garfield Court in Havre de Grace, where they found Mitchell’s wife, Tesheka Smythe in the front yard of 810 Garfield Court and also took her into custody. Police recovered the 1992 Geo Storm belonging to Mitchell’s father stuck in the mud in front of the Garland Court residence.

Smythe was observed to have two gunshot wounds that were bandaged. She was transported to Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace where she was treated for her injuries and released. Smythe was then arrested for several outstanding warrants and also taken to the Detention Center where she is being held without bond. Mitchell was taken to the Harford County Detention Center and has been charged with attempted first degree murder, attempted 2nd degree murder, 1st and 2nd degree assault and 2 counts of use of a handgun in commission of a felony. He is currently being held without bond.

Harford County Sheriff’s deputies investigated the shooting, which occurred during the early morning hours of Monday, January 10, 2005 in the 700 block of Darlington Road. A third party witness first notified Sheriff’s detectives of the incident at noontime on Monday. The witness reported that Mitchell and Smythe, were involved in a verbal argument when Mitchell shot Smythe. The witness then left the residence out of fear and returned several hours later to find Williams and Smythe gone. Sheriff’s Office detectives recovered a woman’s bloody clothing and other evidence from the house that indicated a shooting had taken place. Police checked hospitals, and interviewed dozens of people during the 4 day search.

Press Release

January 14, 2005